Cana in Galilee, the 20th of January 2013
The Arab village of Kafr Kana, located ten kilometers northeast of Nazareth, according to Christian tradition is identified with Cana in Galilee, the site where Jesus' first miracle took place.
During the wedding feast, the newly married couple ran out of wine for their guests and Jesus miraculously transformed water into wine. (John 2, 1-12)
The Sunday following the Baptism of Jesus, many faithful, coming from different parishes in Galilee, come every year to participate with the Franciscan community in the wedding feast at Cana.
The Custos of the Holy Land, Fr. Pierbattista Pizzaballa, presided at the Solemn Mass, which was concelebrated by the parish priest, Fr. François Marie Shamieh, the Guardian of the Annunciation Basilica in Nazareth, Fr. Riccardo Bustos and many other priests.
During Mass, all the brides and grooms present, young and adult, renewed their marriage promises, following the present liturgical rite, promising loyalty and reciprocal love.
At the conclusion of the celebration, Fr. Pizzaballa gave his best wishes to keep these promises throughout their lives.
In the XVII Century the Vatican officially recognized Kafr Kana as the antique Cana in Galilee.
The present Sanctuary, built by the Franciscans in 1881, was enlarged in 1897-1905.